Monday, July 26, 2010

I'm employed!

As a new, legal Danish resident, I now have clearance to work here.  In between travels, Pedro helped set me up with a nice little summer job with cruise ships.  It's been keeping me pretty busy and it's nice to be able to avoid dipping into my savings everyday.  

The uniform is similar to that of a flight attendant and the job consists mainly of long days of pointing and smiling.  We work with guests arriving at the airport and checking-in to board the ship, departing from the ship and transporting to the airport, and last but not least, excursions around Copenhagen.  Excursions are the best part because it allows me to practice my skills as a local tour guide. 

It's great fun to talk to these travelers who, on these specific cruise lines, are primarialy American.  Most of them haven't recognized me as American right away and even insist I have lost my American accent.  I find this hard to believe, but there have been a shocking number of people who have mentioned this to me.  It seems I've become more neutral speaking.  Am I losing my identity as an American after only 4 months?!  I didn't really think this was possible and I'm not sure I like it.  Or, are Americans just terrible placing ALL accents, including American ones? 

Maybe it's a good thing to ease up on my old Mid-West accent, but I'm secretly hoping that after a day with my American friends and family, that my old self will come back.

I'm also hoping our laptop is fixed before my next travels.  Instead of opting for that shiny new computer, we turned in our mac to be repaired.  Unfortunately, they said it would take up to 21 days before we get it back.  I'm waiting until it's back so I can upload all my most recent photos and travel photos from Turkey.  In the meantime, please be patient because it would take me days to get them uploaded on this machine.

In 16 days from now, Pedro and I will be motorbiking through Germany, Belgium, France and Spain.  Then, two of my best girlfriends are flying in from Los Angeles and we will do a girls tour of Spain and Morocco.  Next, come the Victors.  My family will all be here to meet and celebrate our wedding with Pedro's friends and family.  After the party in Murcia, the Victors will tour parts of Spain, Belgium and Denmark.  Since I'll be traveling almost 2 months straight, I will try post mini updates along the way.  But won't promise anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment