Friday, July 30, 2010

cycling

A friend shared this great little video of a bike ride from Copenhagen city center to the beach in Amager.  Enjoy :)



Ocean On Bicycles from Jean Pichot on Vimeo.


As I noted before in one of my first blog entries about Denmark, cycling is truly a way of life here.  Everyone I know here cycles.  The streets are designed with cycling in mind.  It's the easiest, fastest and cheapest way to get around the city.  Remember there is a 180% tax on cars, plus expensive gas and insurance, plus parking permits, plus finding a parking spot can be an impossible task in the city center.  All of this makes a bicycle the premier choice for most residents of Copenhagen.
 cycling mural in Copenhagen

On a daily basis, I cycle as my main way of transportation.  I cycle for my health.  I cycle for my mind.  I cycle for my waistline.  I cycle for the environment.


Especially after hearing about the most recent oil spill in the States (in the town of my alma mater), I feel even better about my cycling habits, and I'm thankful that Denmark has adopted such an environmentally friendly way of life.  I feel abandoning my car for biking or public transportation is just a small step in the right direction.  My heart continues to break as I read about the struggle in Kalamazoo, MI to contain 800,000 gallons of oil, along with the continued struggle in the Gulf.  Hopefully, one day, we won't be dependant on oil and can put an end to such tragedies.

When living in a city that cycles, it's important to remember where you left your bike, as you can see here:

No comments:

Post a Comment