Wednesday, October 6, 2010

My motorcycle diaries - Part I

If you don't know by now, Pedro is a motorbike enthusiast. Before winter, Pedro likes to make a trip to Spain with his bike to store it for the season. This year, he got to take me along for the ride. I went out and purchased my bike gear and was ready to hit the road. It was difficult to know what to pack with the VERY limited space provided. I managed, only because I shipped a bag to Spain so I had some options upon arrival.





Day 1:
We left Copenhagen for Germany and shortly after it began to pour. Not necessarily ideal conditions for a bike trip, especially for a first timer. We had some relief from the rain on the ferry to Germany, but it was short lived when I realized my Nexus One Google smart phone was in my front jacket pocket. It turns out my gear isn't as waterproof as I expected. Only hours in and we already have a casualty. Not great. May my mobile RIP. Death by rain water.

It was a very wet ferry ride to Germany.

 
in drier times on the road...


Bremen, Germany
The first stop over is in Bremen. I survived my first run. Here is a look that says, “How much more!?”


After peeling off the bike gear and a refreshing shower, we did a little tour around the city. I have to say, I strongly approve of Bremen. This little student town is super charming and welcoming. I loved every bit of it. Here is my little photo montage:



































Of course, we drank Becks here.





Day 2:
The drive to Belgium was filled with mixed weather. Sunny and then a little bit of more rain. I urge Pedro to stop every 100 kilometers or so since riding on the back of the bike is much more exhausting than I expected. Specifically, for my knees. I think this bike wasn't built with a giant like me in mind. Normally, it might be okay, but we have an extra bag occupying half of my seat. This results in my being wedged snugly between Pedro and the bag, without any free space for adjustments. The foot peddles also feel higher than I remember from quick local runs on the bike. Imagine the position a jockey takes on a horse when racing. This is exactly how I felt, except more like a giant jockey wearing heavy plastic padding and on a motorcycle rather than a horse. The strain this puts on my knees is not something I anticipated. It's like an intense burning sensation that made me question at times if it was possible for my knees to actually be on fire. After a few minutes rest, it's much better though. Sure, Pedro gets more wind than me, but after careful evaluation, it's safe to say his leg room is extremely more generous than mine.

Ghent, Belgium
Our next stop is in Ghent, to see my Belgian family. We stayed an extra night for a more relaxed visit. I was very excited for Pedro to meet my Aunt and Uncle and to see how beautiful Ghent is. As always, Walter and Veva were extraordinary hosts and properly showed us around. We had more rain in Ghent, but the city is still magical at night with all the lights. I just love visiting Belgium with my family. It never disappoints.








































At this bar, if you drink a beer from one of the BIG mugs, you must leave one of your shoes with the bar until you're finished.
 

































Spanish flag hanging proudly on the canals in Ghent, Belgium.



we found a party...

















The view from Hugo's townhouse.











Motorbiking adventures through France and Spain coming soon...


1 comment: