Monday, May 24, 2010

Chess, Summer, Birthday brunch, Italy prep


Suddenly Summer.  
As promised, I'm blogging about the weather. again.  It went from chilly winterish temperatures to suddenly warm and humid climates.  This was a bit of a shock for me, but reminded me of the weather change in the Mid-West.  The first summery day everyone is wearing tank tops, shorts and flip flops, when really it's not even close to being that hot out.  Having only visited in cooler temperatures, I didn't realize that Copenhagen would be so humid as well.  It's definitely a change from LA, but as long as it's warmer, I will not complain.  

Pedro claims to be a great chess player, but being so out of practice it's difficult for me to confirm his talents.  He does gain credibility each time we play as I've never won.  In my defense, it's been years since I've played.  I am learning strategy fast though.  My day will come and when it does I fear it will be accompanied with victorious dancing and annoying cheering.  I'm a bit competitive, so I'm determined to play more and more to enhance my skills.  Now, we play at home, while traveling, by the canals next to our apartment, at Christiania... where ever possible.  Here is a smug Pedro at Islands Brygge after another victory.  

Pedro snagged a photo of me entering Christiania.  Once inside, there are no photos allowed, but I could've taken a very similar photo of a victorious Pedro sipping his coffee and eyeing my defeated King. 




Elisabetta's birthday.
Saturday was a beautiful sunny day and I was invited to a lovely birthday brunch for my friend, Elisabetta.  The brunch was truly international with Italy, Romania, Russia, Finland, Denmark, Hungary, Norway and USA represented.  Thankfully, everyone spoke English.  After brunch, we sat outside in the sun on a floating patio on lake Sortedams So overlooking downtown Copenhagen.  It was a beautiful day filled with laughs and many beers.  After a while, Pedro and his friend, Frantz joined us for dinner so we also had Spain and France represented.  I love that Copenhagen is so International. 


Sunday morning, we woke up to the sounds of a marching band.  Peaking out our window we saw a parade commencing.  Starting around 8 AM.  I'm sure this was not a welcome sound so early on a Sunday for many of our neighbors.  It was the Copenhagen marathon and at the end of our street most have been some sort of check point as it was filled with continuous cheering and clapping.  I was tired just listening to the crowd, never mind the runners.  Instead of joining the crowd like the rest of our neighbors, I simply hung out our window and snapped a photo.  If you look closely you can see healthy and ambitious runners on both sides of the canals.


Italian Wedding. 
On Thursday, we leave for Tuscany and Bologna.  I couldn't be happier.  Pedro's friends are getting married in a little town, Lagacci, located in the mountains outside of Tuscany.  I'm told it's incredibly beautiful in this little village and that the town only has one bar.  Should be a real Italian experience.  The plan is to explore Bologna and then scooter around Tuscany before and after the wedding.  I've already been to Florence, so we may try Pisa or Lucca instead.  It should be an interesting wedding since I'm pretty confident there will be as much English in Lagacci as there is in Pedro's hometown.  Only this time, I'll be surrounded by Italian rather than Spanish.  Looks like Pedro will have a busy weekend of translating for me once again.  Life with Pedro means I need to learn not only Spanish, but Italian and Danish as well.  I predict I'll be doing lots of smiling and nodding while I drink amazing Italian vino.  Life could be a lot worse.  

No comments:

Post a Comment